Thousands of people will take to the roads to travel during this Holiday season. Unfortunately, inclement weather, crowded roads, and alcohol-related incidents have made the holidays some of the most dangerous and deadly times to be on the roads. In 2015, 355 people died on New Year’s Day, 386 on Thanksgiving Day and 273 on Christmas Day. Alcohol-impaired fatalities represent about one-third of the totals.
Here are some quick tips to help make sure that you and your family are safe this holiday season.
- Use a designated driver or Uber/Lyft to ensure guests make it home safely after a holiday party;
- Limit alcohol and keep in mind that over-the-counter or illegal drugs all cause impairment;
- Make sure every person in the vehicle is properly buckled up no matter how long or short the distance traveled;
- Check car seats and make sure that kids are secured tight;
- Put that cell phone away; many distractions can occur while driving, but cell phones are the main culprit
- Properly maintain the vehicle and keep an emergency kit with you
- Be prepared for heavy traffic, and possibly heavy snow
I hope that you and your loved ones have a safe and happy holiday season. If you or a loved one have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or carelessness contact me today to learn how you can be protected.